Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Patricia Neely Dorsey's Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life in Poems


I am excited to have had the opportunity to chat with another poet and and fellow Author Patricia Neely-Dorsey. Please enjoy our engaging conversation below.

Richardson: Hi Patricia! Thank you for talking with me. Please tell readers about yourself.

Dorsey:I am a 1982 graduate of Tupelo High School in Tupelo, Mississippi. I received a Bachelor Arts degree in Psychology from Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts. I currently live in Tupelo with my husband, James: son, Henry, age 10 and Miniature Schnauzer, Happy. Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia is my first book. I consider myself a late bloomer, as far as this literary thing goes. (smile) I wrote my very first poem February 14, 2007 at the age of 43!

Richardson: Wow, what an inspiration you are! Patricia, could you please tell readers about your inspirational book of poetry Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia?

Dorsey: Reflections is "a celebration of the south and things southern. "There are so many negative connotations associated with Mississippi and the south in general. In my book, using childhood memories, personal thoughts and dreams, I attempt to give a positive glimpse into the southern way of life.

Richardson: Writing is not for the faint at heart. I tell that every where I go. Not to discourage but to encourage. I believed that to be forewarned is to be forearmed. How did you/do deal with rejection?

Dorsey: I have been really blessed to have received overwhelmingly positive responses of the book ,overall. Fortunately,I don't have too many rejection stories to share (smile) However, poetry is a very "hard-sell " in the industry and you do have to have a tough skin to deal with all of the brick walls that are often put up before you can even get in the door. It's amazing how hard it is ,in many cases ,to get reviewers to even consider reviewing a book of poetry...What's the deal??(LOL)

Richardson: I am an avid fan of poetry. It was poetry that help galvanize me into my destiny of writing. Poetry greats such as Maya Angelou, Nikki Giovanni, Langston Hughes,and Paul Laurence Dunbar only to name a few. All had to over come rejections and set backs in their lives as writers and authors. Their lives and written works are great inspiration to many. Patricia, do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Dorsey: In general, I always give advice to writers, artists and anyone who has anything to share with the world. ..Believe in your work..Believe in what you are doing..Don't take no as a final answer..Keep Knocking...Never Give up!!
If you can't get in through the door..go through the window.
Patricia's P-Attitudes are:
Patience.... Persistence ....Perseverance ....Positivity (Is that a word??) (LOL)

Richardson: Yes, it is certainly a word of ACTION. I love the P-Attitudes, and I am going to avail myself to them from time to time. lol. Do have any forthcoming projects readers should be made aware of?

Dorsey:
My publisher is encouraging me to do an illustrated children's version of Reflections with the age appropriate poems . So, that is in the works.
I also plan to publish a book of some of my love poems entitled The Secret Garden of Love


Richardson:
Patricia, thank you so very much for taking the time out to chat with me. Please continue to inspire as you aspire!

Dorsey: Thank you so much for letting me share with you and your readers about my "little book of southern poems." More information about me and the book can be found on my website at :www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com


PATRICIA NEELY-DORSEY
Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life in Poems " a celebration of the south and things southern" "Meet Mississippi Through Poetry, Prose and The Written Word" http://www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com/



SOUTHERN LIFE
If you want a glimpse of Southern life,
Come close and walk with me;
I'll tell you all the simple things,
That you are sure to see.
You'll see mockingbirds and bumblebees,
Magnolia blossoms and dogwood trees,
Caterpillars on the step,
Wooden porches cleanly swept;
Watermelons on the vine,
Strong majestic Georgia pines;
Rocking chairs and front yard swings,
Junebugs flying on a string;
Turnip greens and hot cornbread,
Coleslaw and barbecue;
Fried okra, fried corn, fried green tomatoes,
Fried pies and pickles too.
There's ice cold tea that's syrupy sweet,
And cool, green grass beneath your feet;
Catfish nipping in the lake,
And fresh young boys on the make.
You'll see all these things
And much, much more,
In a way of life that I adore.
Copyright 2008 Patricia Neely-Dorsey
from Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life In Poems


BOOK AVAILABLE: www.reeds.ms/book.asp
or www.Amazon.com

No comments: