Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mystery and Thriller Author DK Gaston

D K Gaston was born in Detroit, Michigan. He left Michigan as a young adult to serve in the U S Army from 1985 to 1990. During his stint in the military, he traveled overseas to Korea, Japan, Mexico and Australia. After leaving the Army, D K earned his Bachelor degree at Detroit College of Business in Computer Information Science.

He worked as a janitor, security guard, computer instructor, word processor, and computer technician before centering his career in computer networking. Since then, he'd earned two Masters Degrees from the University of Phoenix in Technology Management and Business Administration.

D K Gaston is the author of XIII, The Friday House and Lost Hours. He is a husband and father, residing in Michigan. He is currently working on his next novel.

Richardson: Hello D K! Thanks for chatting with me. Please tell readers about yourself.

Gaston: I'm an author. I write in several different genres and currently have three published novels: XIII, Lost Hours & The Friday House.

Richardson: Have you always known that you would write Mystery & Thrillers? Who are some mystery writers that influenced you?

Gaston: I've always been a big mystery and thriller fan. But, no, I originally planned on writing comic books when I was younger. It wasn't until I was much older that I considered mysteries and thrillers. I would have to say that it was Dean Koontz who inspired me to write. I read Midnight and fell in love with his writing style.

Richardson: What do you want readers to take away from your novels?

Gaston: I really want to entertain the readers. I want my books to be that shot of caffeine that launches a person's morning and to keep them going all day.

Richardson: D K, you donated half the royalties from the sales of “The Friday House” to the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Tell us how did that come about?

Gaston: Unfortunately, it did not generate any hard sells. I suspect the bad economy had a lot to do with that. I don't plan on giving up helping charities with sales of my books. Once the economy picks up, I'll start again, hopefully with better success in the future. I did appreciate all the people who tried to make others aware of what I was doing by posting on their blogs.

Richardson: What have you discovered about yourself on your journey to publication?

Gaston: That a little patience goes a long way. I also learned that authors love to help other authors on his or her journey.

Richardson: There is always a story behind the glory. How do/did you handle rejection (s)?

Gaston: Opinions are subjective; some will love my stories while others just won't get it. I understand that readers, reviewers, agents and publishers have varying taste, so I listen to them, evaluate their comments and hopefully improve upon my work. Authors have to have a tough skin in the writing business.

Richardson: What advice would you offer aspiring authors?

Gaston: Keep writing and don't stop writing until you finish your first draft. Once the draft is complete, step away from your book for a month and then come back and begins your edits/rewrite.

Richardson: How can readers contact you?

Gaston: The future belongs to eBooks. There will always be a great demand for paper edition books, but be aware that a growing number of young readers are jumping on emerging technologies.

I can be contacted at: author_dkgaston@yahoo.com

Richardson: D K, thank you for chatting with me. As always in closing, continue to inspire as you aspire.

Gaston: Thank you for this interview. I had a lot of fun answering your great questions.

D K Gaston
www.dkgaston.com
XIII, April 2007
Lost Hours, October 2007
The Friday House 2008

FYI
The Friday House - second edition
A second edition of The Friday House is now available at:

https://www.createspace.com/3344369


Short description:

Without warning or explanation, prominent Americans are carrying out horrendous crimes against the government. FBI Special Agent Jamaica Kurtz is assigned to profile these assassins. All the killers have one thing in common, the Friday House Orphanage. What secrets does this institution hold and will Jamaica Kurtz find the truth in time to stop more attacks?

No comments: