Sunday, November 29, 2009

Secrets and Lies Author Rhonda McKnight

Secret and Lies Author Rhonda McKnight

Richardson: Hello Rhonda! I am excited to chat with you, welcome.

McKnight: I’m excited about the release of my novel. Thanks so much for having me and taking the time to share it with your readers.

Richardson: My Pleasure. Your Christian fiction, Secrets and Lies, is slated to be released in December 1st. of this year. What is the synopsis of Secret and Lies?

McKnight: Faith Morgan is struggling with her faith. Years of neglect leave her doubting that God will ever fix her marriage. When a coworker accuses her husband, Jonah, of the unthinkable, Faith begins to wonder if she really knows him at all, and if it’s truly in God’s will for them to stay married.

Pediatric cardiologist Jonah Morgan is obsessed with one thing: his work. A childhood incident cemented his desire to heal children at any cost, even his family, but now he finds himself at a crossroads in his life. Will he continue to allow the past to haunt him, or find healing and peace in a God he shut out long ago?

Richardson: What do you want readers to take away from Secrets and Lies?

McKnight: Secrets and Lies is a story about faith, forgiveness and reconciliation. I believe it will resonate differently with each individual, but if I had to name one thing, I'd say I’d like readers to understand that forgiveness is a decision. Once a person decides that peace is more important than bitterness and pain, they will have a fuller, more complete life.

Richardson: Have you always known that you would write Christian Fiction?

McKnight: No, I’ve been writing since I was a teenager, and I didn’t even know Christian Fiction existed until 1998 when Victoria Christopher Murray introduced me to her novel, Temptation. That was when that I started to think about the kind of stories I wanted to tell. But even then I wasn’t sure I was the right person to tell a “Christian” story, but as I’ve grown spiritually, I’ve realized that it’s really the only kind I can tell. I write who I am and I love the Lord.

Richardson: You deal with Depression, suicide, and faith, in Secret and Lies. Did this require a great deal of research?

McKnight: Jonah Morgan is a pediatric cardiologist, and what he does for a living is central to the story. I had to do tons of research about pediatric heart disease. I enjoyed every minute of it. I love doing research. I’m personally acquainted with faith struggles and it just organically comes out as I write. I think we all know people who have or are dealing with depression, and I struggled with that for a short period of time when I first moved from New Jersey to Atlanta. I did do some research about suicide and I had to research the incident in the novel that led up to one of the characters considering suicide. So, yes, I guess I can say it did require a lot of research.

Richardson: What have you discovered about yourself on your journey to publication?

McKnight: Other than how to write a book, (LOL), I learned that this (writing) is what I was really born to do. (That is other than be a mother).

Richardson: Being a mommy, is one of the best jobs in the world! There is always a story behind the glory. How do/did you handle rejection (s)?

Ha! I never got rejected. I sold my book to the first publisher I sent it to. I did get a rejection letter two weeks later from another publisher, but I didn’t care. I had already sold. I must say I believe that was more about God’s timing than my writing.

Richardson: That is both wonderful and encouraging to hear! God timing is perfect and true. I have a book titled, The Certain Ones. Sometime, certain ones have to dig a little deeper and stretch a little wider. Delayed but not denied. God's timing, presents awesome testimonies; of how I made it over. :) What advice would you offer aspiring authors, Rhonda?

McKnight: Read, write and then read and write some more. Study the craft of writing. Buy craft books or take writing classes. Attend a writers conference. You’ll learn so much about writing and the publishing business. The more you know, the less mistakes you’ll make and the less painful the journey will be.

Richardson: Wonderful advice. How can readers contact you?

McKnight: The best way to reach me is by email at rhonda@rhondamcknight.net . I love having people stop by my website and sign my guestbook www.rhondamcknight.net and I am a total and complete Facebook addict. You can catch me every day that the sun rises at www.facebook.com/rhondamcknight

Richardson: Rhonda, it was wonderful chatting and discovering with you. As always in closing, continue to inspire as you aspire.

McKnight: Thanks so much for having me Vanessa and all the best with your writing and ministry work.





http://www.rhondamcknight.net/
www.facebook.com/rhondamcknight
http://www.urbanchristianfictiontoday.com/

3 comments:

rhonda mcknight said...

Thanks for having me Vanessa. I appreciate your support.

vanessa richardson said...

Hi Rhonda,

Not a problem! Much such to you!

Vanessa

vanessa richardson said...

Opps, typo's! Much success, to you. :)